Friday, May 1, 2009

PUPPPs Cured!

For those of you that have never heard of PUPPPs it is...

Pruritic Uticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy, a benign, severely itchy and painful skin rash, that occurs in one out of 240 pregnancies and leaves the expectant mother in despair for relief.

PUPPP, as some women describe the rash, in a comparison to a feeling of poison oak and chicken pox, generally begins around the abdomen or thighs and can spread over the entire body except for the face, neck and hands. It has the appearance of bumpy, itchy papules that eventually spread to take on the appearance of reddened, scalded skin with welts. It generally feels worse at night and often causes sleep loss due to the intense itch. PUPPP goes away after giving birth.

Needless to say I am one of the cursed or was...amazingly enough after much research I think I found a solution. I say I think because I am not completely positive it won't come back. Being the good listener I am, I did what my doctor told me but because they were not hopeful and said that the only real cure was giving birth I began searching for an alternative. I still have several weeks to go before our little girl will be ready and PUPPPs really is like chicken pox at its worst....when you throw pregnancy in the mix...UGG!!!...needless to say I was beginning to be a not so pleasant person to be around. Now this is going to sound weird but I started taking Dandelion. I read many rave reviews online of pregnant woman that swore by it so I tried it for myself and amazingly enough just like they said after about a week my rash was gone. I still have a few marks (almost scare like but I know they aren't) but no itch! No swelling! No rash! It is a miracle! Now I can't say that it was just the dandelion that cured it. I was also using a cream and antihistimin prescribed by the doctor. I'd been using those for a few days before starting up with the Dandelion. At that time they were only subduing the problem not curing it but I can't say the combination isn't what did it. All I can say is "ladies, if you ever happen to get this go to the homepathic section and buy yourself some dandelion!" I am a believer.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I had heard about dandelion being good for certain things. My husband and I used to joke around that we could make a fortune off of the crop we had growing in our yard!

I too had PUPPPS. That's great that you were able to get it to go away! I wish I had been able to find relief during pregnancy, but the only relief for me came when my son was born.