Wednesday, November 25, 2009

First Fever

Lyla had her first fever last night. I wouldn't have known she was even sick if she hadn't been acting funny. When I picked her up from our Aunt and Uncle's house she was sleepy but not acting out of the ordinary. Then we ran a few errands still fine (a little fussy but tired fussy). When we got home she took a big nap. When she woke up I expected to see a smiling face but instead it was almost blank. I tried everything to make her smile. All my usual tricks did nothing. She'd manage a little grin but nothing like normal. I felt her head and it was warm. Now she is usually pretty warm so I wasn't really concerned about that but I knew it couldn't hurt to take her temperature and I am glad I did. The thermometer read 102! Of course I went into new mommy panic mode. I instantly called the doctor, called my mom, called Danny. My internal alarms went crazy. Everyone assured me that it was probably just a cold and that to keep her hydrated and comfortable. Of course with all the horror stories you hear lately I didn't let her out of my sight for the rest of the night. She slept with us and I pretty much woke up every hour to make sure she was still breathing.  A little extreme I know but could not be help. Thankfully this morning we woke to find the fever broken and all back to normal (well close...she wasn't quite 100%). But because it hadn't been 24hours with out fever her daycare didn't want her around the other kids. Totally understandable especially right before the holidays. Needless to say we are home today and I am making sure she gets as much rest as possible. If only mommy's had super powers and could just fix these types of things. No one wants to see their child sick, hurt or unhappy. 

No comments: