Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Day of School - Ready or Not?

Yesterday was Lyla's first day of school. As you can imagine we all have been so excited and anxious with anticipation for this day to come. Lyla has literally been talking about it for months. Needless to say it was a bit of an overwhelming morning. Being the first day for all it was a very chaotic but Lyla kept close to her new teacher Ms. Glenn and made it to class with no problem which I am sure is no surprise to anyone. However what was a surprise was when I came to pick her up as soon as she saw me she burst into tears and came running into my arms. That was the most heart breaking moment of my life. I know for most children that might not be that abnormal but for Lyla she hasn't once behaved like that even when we left her for a week at my parents house while we were in Mexico. She has always been so independant. In fact it is usually the opposite, she is usually crying because she doesn't want to leave because she is having so much fun. It is a little rattling to say the least which has me questioning is she ready or not. Needless to say I spent most of yesterday in tears going over everything. The..."What if I made a mistake"..."What if this isn't the right time yet"..."What if this isn't the right place for her"...These thoughts go on and on. I know how excited she has been and how hard we worked this summer to get her ready but it is a big school. There are 25 children in her class. Maybe this is just to much too quickly. She is only 3 and as you can see from the line of children she is by far the youngest. What to do?

UPDATE: I just realized I have never posted anything after this to let everyone know that that first day really was the only bad day and every day since has been wonderful...It took mom a bit of time to get past the memory of the first day but everyday since Lyla has been happy, excited and loving every minute of it. Her teacher Ms. Glenn is absolutely fabulous and we feel so blessed to have it going so well. Lyla is learning so much and ever day I can see her grow. It has been a great experience so far. 

1 comment:

Priska said...

She is so cute and I know she has been really looking forward to this day. It's a HUGE step....and more than she could have imagined. Take one day at a time. It will get better. Love you..... grandma :0)