Friday, June 5, 2009

That must be why they say...

"If you can make it through the first two weeks of breast feeding you will be fine..."

I am starting to understand those words very well. I read them in several times in magazines, books, on the internet. Honestly I was pretty spooked about anything coming from my breasts at all. Thankfully the start of breastfeeding didn't go to badly for me. Lyla and I had a great start...but...it didn't last. Monday afternoon I was struck with a breast infection. When I say struck that is exactly what it felt like. Jordan, a dear friend of mine, had stopped by for a visit. I was tired of course but feeling pretty good and just as she was about to leave I started feeling very chilled. Keep in mind this week has been smoltering hot and our house does not have air conditioning but our downstairs remains fairly cool (needless to say feeling chilled in weather like this doesn't happen to often unless you are standing infront of the freezer). Anyway the chill quickly proceeded to get worse...with in minutes I had terrible shakes...and then I was extremely nausous...I of course went straight to bed. Thankfully Lyla was pretty sleepy herself so she layed down with me. When Danny got back he checked my temperature and it was 102! We of course call the doctor right away and to my surprise they diagnosed me with a breast infection and sent Danny to the pharmacy for some antibiotics.

Of course that was a few days ago now...my fever has been up and down (normal one minute then back to 100 the next) and I am on my second round of antibiotics because the first didn't seem to be working like they were hoping. The breast that is infected is sore and has slowly stopped producing much of anything and I have had to rely on the other for full duty (and a formula supplement because this girls lets just say can eat...ha ha). Thankfully they feel that as soon as the infection is cleared I will be able to continue breast feeding as if nothing happened.

Basically it has been quite a week. Yesterday was probably the best of all the days. I only felt slightly feverish in the morning but it based fairly quickly. Lyla is 9 days old now so if the "phrase" is true we only have 5 days to go to pass the "breast feeding hump."

No comments: